Monday, February 7, 2011

What Does "Silly Goose Farm" Mean?


I’ve been thinking about what exactly “Silly Goose Farm” is.

Well, Silly Goose Farm is, of course, where I live, but beyond that, I feel it’s a way of life. To sum it up, Silly Goose Farm is a guide for a stylish, sustainable lifestyle. Living “green,” eco-friendly or socially responsible seems to be more popular than ever, and have certainly become buzzwords. I feel a lot of the resources out there on the subject don’t really make this lifestyle as accessible as it should be. Many come across as elitist and pretentious. Blame it on my extensive schooling in History and Political Science, but I think the only way things ever change is when they become accessible to the masses. Egalitarians unite!

I aim to make Silly Goose Farm a place where anyone can come and find inspiration on stylish, sustainable living. Whether you live on 20 acres or in a mid-city apartment, have the time, energy and experience to grow all of your own produce or just a windowsill pot for basil, make oodles of buckaroos or just enough to eek by, I hope this blog becomes a repository of ideas for all who are dedicated to living a little closer to the earth (without losing personal style).

I am working on regular features that showcase tips on gardening, cooking, personal style and décor, and companies that uphold the tenets of the Silly Goose Farm lifestyle. Also, because I believe good, safe and healthy food should be accessible for everyone, I’ll occasionally post information about organizations dedicated to this cause and related food issues. I promise I’ll try not to be too preachy! What a turnoff, right?

Finally, this blog is a place where you can comment as you see fit. If there is something posted here you definitely don’t agree with or support, share it! One-sided conversations don’t really affect change, in my opinion. If you find something in a post that is factually incorrect, call me out on it. Just please don’t be harsh towards other commenters. Name calling is not allowed, and try to limit the snarky quips. Let’s all bring each other up, not knock each other down.

So, stay tuned for more fun posts and exciting announcements, and if there is anything you’d love to see here, leave me a comment or email me at sillygoosefarm@gmail.com!

2 comments:

Prippy Handbook said...

Your blog looks fabulous! More importantly, you message behind your blog is so beautiful. I am so thrilled to see your upcoming posts and you're definitely a perfect person to write about balancing a full life, sustainability, and style!

xo

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

PH - I think that's probably one of the nicest comments anyone has ever given me. Except for that one time stumbling home from the bar and some guy said "Yo baby, I wanna ride that ass to the moon!" (Well, I took it as a compliment, as least :-)