Monday, June 20, 2011

Strawberry Salad

Salad greens from my mother's garden; berries picked by me

Two words indicative of summer are strawberry and salad. Put them together, and experience a flavor profile that is reminiscent of running barefoot through sprinklers, making s'mores, getting sun freckles on one's shoulders, and backyard camping in rickety tents. This Strawberry Salad is a quick, easy meal that can be whipped up for a tasty lunch or healthy dinner. Enjoy!

********************

Strawberry Salad with Candied Walnuts
Serves Two

5 cups (for me, about 4 big handfuls) salad greens, washed and dried
1/2 cup red onion, sliced
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled*
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup walnuts, shelled and halved
1 egg white
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat the oven broiler (or set oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit). Combine egg white, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and paprika. Add nuts and mix with fork. Place nuts on a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.

2. Meanwhile, combine the salad greens, red onion, cheese and strawberries. Once walnuts are done, sprinkle on top of salad. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season as desired with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.

*Bleu cheese would also be delicious!

5 comments:

Frog Hollow Farm Girl said...

Hi Deanna, thanks for stopping by my post about using the old wooden dresser for my outside bar - I'm glad that you liked the idea. We have so many strawberries these last few days - I've been freezing a lot of them - I wonder if I can make jam from frozen berries? Hope all is well - ciao, bella xxoo

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

FHFG - you can definitely use frozen berries for jam, but you might need to boil for longer, because the frozen berries release their juices rapidly as they thaw. You might also want to increase the sugar by 1/2 cup to help the jam set-up. Let me know if you try it, and good luck!

Christine said...

Mmm, you inspired me to bring a strawberry salad to work today.

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Christine - Yay! My goal, to inspire others!

Amy@OldSweetSong said...

Oh man. You were right, this is right up my alley.

YOU SO GET ME!